Skip to main content

'You're A Gujarati, Do Business': Ex-Selector's Advice Left Parthiv Stunned

In a country like India, where cricket academies and teams abound in every corner, getting a chance in the national team requires more than just hard work. There are several instances of talented players failing to earn a place in the national side because of the abundance of options available to the BCCI selectors. Parthiv Patel is one such player. He made his international debut at the age of 17 years and 152 days in 2002. However, his international career saw him being dropped on several occasions for long periods. The emergence of MS Dhoni saw him lose his place in the team. Patel made a comeback in 2008 against Sri Lanka but was dropped again. Then, during the 2009-10 season, Parthiv said he was in peak form in domestic cricket, but when he asked a national selector in 2010 about his prospects, he got a shocking reply.

Patel said he first had a discussion with then-chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar. The India great told him to keep working hard. Then, after a new selection panel came in, he spoke to another selector.

"At that time, I didn't feel aggrieved because I knew my performance wasn't good enough when I got dropped. The team had lost a series in India after a long time. But in the subsequent years, there came a phase when I felt, 'What more can I do than this?' That was when I scored 500 runs across five consecutive innings in First-Class cricket. It's actually an Indian record. Till date, no batter in First-Class cricket in India, whether it's Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, or Sunil Gavaskar, has scored 500 runs in five consecutive innings," Parthiv told Aakash Chopra on the latter's YouTube channel.

"When the selection for the Australia tour was happening, I called selector Dilip Vengsarkar and asked him about my chances. He told me, 'It's unfortunate, keep working hard.' But by 2011, after consistently scoring 700-800 runs every season, the selection committee had changed. I called the new selector from the West Zone to ask about my prospects, and I received a shocking piece of advice.

"He said: 'You are 27-28 years old, you are a Gujarati. Think about whether you can do some business or not.' I told him directly, 'If you don't want to select me, don't. But you cannot discourage someone like this. Fine, this is your thinking, but you have two years left in your tenure. I challenge you that within those two years, I will make a comeback,'" Parthiv added.

He did make a comeback but did not get a long rope.

Parthiv added that he was not in competition with Dhoni.

"I was never in competition with MS Dhoni because he was on a different level. The competition was only for the second keeper's slot. You weren't even talking about the first keeper's spot because of his performances, his stature as a player, and his captaincy. The only question was when he would take a rest so that I'd get to play, or when I'd get the opportunity to go on a tour. But at some point, I realised that we are playing cricket whether it's for India, Gujarat, West Zone, or club cricket. My intensity shouldn't drop, regardless of the level I'm playing at. It couldn't be that I played Ranji Trophy cricket at 50-60% intensity and then suddenly got to play a Test match without knowing the pace of the game. My preparation always had to be as if I was playing for India. Whenever I got the chance, I had to be ready," Parthiv stated.



from NDTV News- Special https://ift.tt/5So7zZ0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Kareena Kapoor's Workout Video, Little Jeh Steals The Show

Kareena Kapoor has the best “workout buddy” – her little son Jeh. The Internet agrees. The actress, who often shares glimpses of her fitness routines, posted a similar clip on Wednesday. This time, she wasn't the one who grabbed all the attention of her fans. An adorable Jeh stole the show by making a short appearance in Kareena's workout video. He is seen wearing a green tee and grey shorts while trying to climb the aerobic stepper. Kareena Kapoor, who is busy maintaining balance on the bench in the video, tries to hold her son with one hand so that he doesn't fall. Giving her fans a sneak peek into her “mom life,” the actress wrote, “Working out with my best workout buddy (blushing, heart eye, biceps and red heart icons).” She also added the hashtags “mom life,” “midweek balance,” “The Crew” (her next film) and “workout” to her caption. Kareena's workout song, this time, was Guru Randhawa's Moon Rise. Producer Rhea Kapoor, who is working with Kareena Kapoor on T...